Tuesday, August 2, 2011

BATMAN: Heart of ICE



I don't know how many of you watched Batman the animated series, but I loved that show.  So when an editor at DC asked to see more of my work I decided to create a few pieces including this montage style poster based on the Emmy winning episode of BTAS titled "Heart of Ice".  I tried to capture the mood and palette of the episode while also giving a hint at what the wife of Victor Fries looked like before her terminal illness.   "Mr. Freeze, thirsting for revenge against the sleazy CEO who destroyed his life, begins to steal various equipment from GothCorp. Batman's sympathy is with Freeze, but first he has to stop him from using the equipment to destroy a building filled with innocent people in order to carry out his vendetta. "  12"x18" 300 dpi digital.    

I also played with the design of Freeze's costume since there really is no definitive suit.  I combined the design from both BTAS and the suit design from the latest show "The Batman".  It didn't make sense to me for a guy in a thermal suit to be running around in spandex so I tried to go for something more real like a modified astronaut EVA suit.   
Dr. Victor Fries - "Think of it--- To never again walk upon a summer's day with a hot wind in your face and a warm hand to hold. Oh, yes, I'd kill for that."



Mrs. Nora Fries -"This is how I'll always remember you--- surrounded by winter, forever young, forever beautiful. Rest well, my love. The monster who took you from me will soon learn that revenge is a dish... Best served cold." 
Ferris Boyle 
In my version I froze him up to his neck. He doesn't look cold enough here.

I was working on a wonder woman piece just before I started designing for BMG.  I’d still like to finish that one too, time permitting.  If nothing else it’ll just be fan art for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment